Opto-Mechanical Design Engineer
EFFECT photonics is searching for a full-time Opto-Mechanical Design Engineer with experience in 3D design (SolidWorks) and modeling for the development of fiber-optic and laser products for Telecom. You will join our Product R&D team located in Brixham, Devon (UK) and collaborate closely with various teams in Product R&D, NPI and Operations both in Brixham as well as in Eindhoven (The Netherlands).
This is an opportunity to join a fast-paced start-up environment where yo will bring key mechanical design skills to team and help deliver the next-generation EFFECT Photonics advanced photonic modules and manufacturing infrastructure.
Brixham, United Kingdom
Responsibilities for the position include:
- Opto-Mechanical design from initial concept to production release of fiber-optic packages and components for use in commercial and telecom systems.
- Perform thermal and structural analysis using Finite Element Analysis (ANSYS preferred), including design and tolerance analysis.
- Mechanical design of fixture/tooling and equipment for fiber-optic component manufacturing.
- Close collaboration with various teams in electrical, photonic IC and product groups to design optimized solutions that meet applicable industry and MSA (Multi-Source Agreement) standards and relevant customer specifications.
- Generate conceptual design, layout, prototyping, bill of materials, piece part and assembly drawings and maintain the generated documentation sets.
- Select vendors and follow-up with them for piece parts specification, procurement, and quality assurance.
What do we expect from you?
- Mastery of CAD tools for 3D design, modeling and 2D drawing creation (SolidWorks & Ansys preferred).
- Working knowledge of various production processes including injection molding, die-casting, extruding, sheet metal stamping & forming, machining, painting, powder coating, plating and conversion coating.
- Working knowledge of material selection/specifications, relating to soldering, metallization, ceramics, epoxy, optical fiber and semiconductors.
- Strong understanding of general mechanical design practices, particularly design for manufacturability and precision tolerances.
- Prior design experience in high volume products.
- Familiarity with fiber optics is desirable.
- Experience in performing structural and thermal finite element analysis desirable.
- Strong communication skills, a hands-on approach and a willingness to work in a cross-functional and multi-national team.
- Availability to travel up to 15% of your working time.
- Candidate must have right to work in the UK.
What do we have to offer?
- You will work on state of the art technology together with an enthusiastic and highly skilled team of international colleagues.
- A full-time position with competitive terms based at EFFECT Photonics facility at Brixham Laboratory, Devon.
- The opportunity to develop your own skills while contributing to a rapidly expanding company.
- A competitive benefits package
- Stock Appreciation Rights (SAR)
- Relocation assistance
For more information regarding this position, please send your question to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications via this email will not be considered.
For applying for this job, click here
About EFFECT Photonics
Founded in 2010, EFFECT Photonics delivers highly integrated optical communications products based on its Dense Wavelength Division Multiplexing (DWDM) optical System-on-Chip technology.
As a spin-off of the prestigious Technical University of Eindhoven, EFFECT Photonics takes a platform approach to integration using high-yielding building blocks within the wafer. Growing different quaternary alloys of Indium Phosphide on a single wafer means that all of the active and passive optical functions of a system can be created within a single chip, which is then combined with simple packaging, designed for high-volume, low-cost manufacture from the very start.
The key enabling technology for DWDM systems is full monolithic integration of all photonic components within a single chip and being able to produce these in volume with high yield at low cost. With this capability, EFFECT Photonics is addressing the need for low cost DWDM solutions driven by the soaring demand for high bandwidth connections between datacenters and back from mobile cell towers.
EFFECT Photonics develops and delivers highly integrated optical products based on InP (Indium Phosphide) which is the material of choice for creating efficient laser light sources, waveguides, modulators, and photodiodes used in optical communication systems throughout the world.
Extensive development work and European funding has already been invested to develop and refine the processes needed for the integration of multiple optical functions within a single chip. For more information please visit our website: